Baked + Grilled Chicken Wings
3 Lbs. Chicken wings*
1/2 cup soy sauce
3 Tbsp white vinegar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp black pepper
optional: dash of cayenne pepper
1. Prepare the wings by disconnecting the flapper and the drum (see notes) if this has not already been done so by butcher.
2. Prepare marinade: mix all sauce ingredients together in a bowl and add to a large sealable Ziploc storage bag. Soak the wings in the marinade overnight.
3. Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Prepare a large rimmed baking sheet by covering the bottom with foil. Remove the chicken wings from the bag of marinade and place on the prepared sheet making sure not to overlap or crowd. Reserve sauce to use as baste while grilling. Bake for 1 hour.
4. Preheat grill to medium low heat. Remove the wings from the oven.*
5. Place the wings on the grill and brush one side with the marinade. Grill for 4-6 minutes. Flip the wings to the other side, brush with marinade and grill for another 4-6 minutes. Remove wings from the grill. Enjoy!
Follow steps 1 and 2.
Set Traeger to 225 and let it preheat for 15 minutes.
Smoke the wings on the second rack of the smoker for 25 minutes. Flip and smoke for another 25 minutes.
Flip the wings one final time and increase the heat to 425f. Smoke the wings at 425 for 20-30 minuets.
-Often wings come whole with the drum and the flapper connected. I like to break the bone then cut the skin to seperate the two. This helps to render the skin down easier which makes your wing crispier.
-I like to heat the marinade in a small cast iron saucepan on the grill for a little while before I start grilling the wings.