Favorite Austin Salads of 2019
Ever since I can remember, I have been in love with salads. Believe it or not, as a child I was an extremely picky eater and the only thing I would order at restaurants was a side salad with Italian dressing. Fast forward to the Ashley I am now and I will literally eat anything. I LOVE trying new foods, but I also still obsess over salads and overall it's what my body craves.
When we first moved from Columbus, Ohio to Austin, Texas I missed family and my go to salads. I was in search of an Austin city guide for greens which did not exist, until I published my very own last year. This is now an annual tradition I enjoy tackling one leaf at a time. And now for the list of the favorite salads I tried in Austin during 2019...
1. Spread & Co.-Persimmon N' Blue North Austin (also known as Squash N' Blue depending on the season)- mixed greens, roasted persimmon, blue cheese and.... everything seasoning! I am team everything seasoning and the restaurant incorporating it in this salad is a stroke of genius.
2. Épicerie ‘Salmon & Kale Salad’ North Austin - sliced apple, french lentils, salmon, avocado and massaged kale resting on a bed of whipped cashew cream, this salad is rich and very satisfying
3. Citizens Eatery 'Vegan Paleo Bowl with Grilled Tofu' North Austin - It's hard to go wrong with your order in this vegetarian cafe as everything the kitchen makes is delightful. This bowl is listed as an entrée and consists of brussels sprouts, cauliflower, sweet potatoes , spring mix, roasted pecans, and tahini dressing- very fresh and filling!
4. Curcuma 'Kitchari Bowl' East Austin- this food truck is serving an Ayurvedic diet staple, but swapping the rice for quinoa. Kitchari is used as a cleansing food as it is nutrient dense (providing complete protein) and easy for our bodies to digest. Don't let all the healthy talk turn you off though, this bowl is as delicious as it is nutritious.
5. Kebab Shop 'Greek Salad w/ Carved Lamb and Beef' North Austin- I absolutely love Mediterranean food and quite honestly at the Kebab Shop you could top this salad with carved chicken or falafel and it would be equally as good. This California native fast casual restaurant dishes up some seriously delicious eats.
6. High Note 'Kale Salad w/ Tofu' South Austin- with this salad you can opt for several protein options and the chef recommends salmon which I am sure is equally as yummy. What I loved most about this salad was the contrast in textures between the massaged kale and the the puffed rice.
7. Hideaway Kitchen & Bar 'Power Greens' South Austin- Chef Bryan is wildly talented so be prepared to be completely dazzled when you dine here. I fell in love with this bowl because it was satisfying, full of flavor and nutritious.
8. Nate’s Baked Goods 'Chicken Salad' and 'Golden Beets Salad' Central Austin- this isn't really a traditional salad choice, but salad IS in the name and both are so well made. I highly recommend making these items a part of your next picnic.
9. Pinthouse Pizza (Round Rock location only) 'Sundance Salad' Round Rock- arugula, roasted cauliflower (this is the money ingredient!), candied pecans, golden raisins, Parmesan cheese, and house made lemon dressing are served casually on a tray. We are so in love with this salad! You could add chicken and make this an entrée order, but we usually share this salad along with a pizza as our meal. The hazy IPA's aren't too shabby either ;).
10. Malibu Poké Central Austin- create your own. I love best about Malibu Poké because the shop offers unique bases like kale and riced cauliflower. You can truly make your bowl a salad topped with the freshest poké seafood in town.
11. Oz Tap House 'BBQ Chicken' and 'Fried Avocado' West Austin- these are no wimpy salads. Ladies and gentlemen these salads arrive to your table in a large metal mixing bowl and are sure to satisfy even the biggest of appetites (I ate them during the height of breastfeeding our son, so I know this to be true).
12. Ski Shores Cafe 'Asian Crunch Salad' West Austin- for the longest time we only went to Ski Shores for drinks, atmosphere and a place where our daughter could enjoy the playscape. One day I finally ordered this salad and now I am hooked! The flavors are phenomenal and you can even order it with grilled shrimp instead of fried shrimp if you're gluten sensitive.
13. Bar Peached 'Wafu Salad' Central Austin - arugula and Thai basil tossed with the restaurant's 'wafu' salad dressing which I can best describe as having an umami flavor is the best way to start your meal. When we dine at Bar Peached we like to order several dishes and share and every single time we start our adventure with this salad (it balances out all the bingsu we dig into later....right?!).
14. Bento Picnic 'Chopped Chicken Salad' East Austin- this Austin spot has gained such popularity for it's ready made healthy meals. You can order for local delivery or swing by the shop which makes it a perfect option for busy lifestyles. This salad was recently added to the menu and I am all about it!
15. 600 Degrees Pizzeria 'Greek Salad with Chicken' Georgetown- yes this is a pizza place, but I am also a big fan of the chicken here (don't even get me started on the dry rub ranch wings)! I always order this salad with the Greek dressing however, I recommend also asking for a side of ranch dressing. The ranch dressing is house made and one of the very best I have ever had.
16. Phonatic Vietnamese 'Salad Bowl with Tofu and Vegetables' various locations- I fell head over heels for Phonatic this year and legitimately crave their entire menu on a regular basis, but if you're looking for a fast casual salad this baby has it all. You can opt for any of their flavorful protein options (tofu, shrimp, chicken thigh, chicken breast, pork shoulder, pork chops, lemongrass beef or fish), but I love the crispiness and spiciness of their tofu.
17. Second Bar + Kitchen 'Roasted Beet and Citrus Salad' North Austin- this salad is more filling that I thought it would be and seriously refreshing. The roasted beets and citrus segments are also tossed with goat cheese and marcona almonds.
18. Hanks 'Chopped Black Kale Salad' North Austin- if you would ever like to win me over, please deliver this kale salad from Hank's topped with their wood grilled salmon and I'll gladly oblige to any request you toss my way. The shallot vinaigrette flavor and the texture of the breadcrumbs are heavenly.
19. Rebel Cheese 'Not Quite Cobb Salad' East Austin- this vegan eatery is new to Austin, TX and winning over even the meatiest of meat lovers. This salad is hearty and has all the elements you crave of a traditional Cobb salad, but with a vegan approach.I swooned over the crumbled vegan blue cheese and crispy chickpeas.
20. Paperboy 'Greens and Grains Salad with Egg' East Austin- I just HAD to add an egg to this salad because it's from Paperboy after all . I would say in categories of different salad types I would categorize the style of this one more as a side dish, however with the egg it definitely served as a refreshing lunch. Olives and za'atar give these greens a true Mediterranean kick.
Have a salad you would like me to try? Send a note to email@example.com. I welcome all suggestions!