Crazy Rich Tofu
I have a serious obsession with Honest Mary's, but since I cannot drive there weekly (although I would love to), I had to find a way to satisfy my craving at home. Part of my obsession starts with their seriously addicting tofu. Yea, I said it. TOFU! The marinade, the texture, all of it mixed with fresh greens, roasted veggies and avocado. yummmmm. After lots of trial and error, this is what I came up with in my own kitchen.
Ingredients: 1 block of extra firm organic tofu (Trader Joe’s and Sprouts carry my favorite)
1/2 cup tamari or soy sauce (could also use Coconut Aminos) 1 tsp red chilli flakes 1 tsp crushed coriander seed
1/2 cup water
Directions: 1. Carefully remove tofu from the package and place it on a towel. Wrap the towel around the tofu and evenly (and gently) press down onto it to remove any excess liquid. Be very careful while doing this because you don’t want the tofu to break apart.
2. In a large bowl, combine tamari sauce, chili flakes, coriander and water and stir.
3. Place tofu on a cutting board and cut it into strips.
4. Cut these strips into cubes and transfer them into a Freezer gallon size Ziploc and pour the marinade into the bag. Each cube should be submerged in the marinade. You may need to adjust the bag so often to make sure each cube gets some loving.
5. Please Ziploc in the refrigerator to cool for at least six hours. I marinate my tofu for a full
day before baking. The longer the tofu marinates, the better the flavor!
6. Remove the tofu from the marinade and transfer on to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
7. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
8. Enjoy! Best with salads, bowls and curries.