Packing a Picnic for All Tastebuds
The weather is cooling off and what better way to spend weekend days than exploring the great outdoors with your family. It's not secret that kiddos love picnics (even if they are in your backyard or neighborhood park), so I've compiled a list of picnic menu ideas that are sure to make your whole group happy. For packing your family in style you can use this tote or this basket.
For the all Americans...
1. Cobb Salad Sandwich- roasted turkey lunchmeat, tomato, lettuce, avocado, bacon and ranch on hearty bread
2. Kale Chicken Caeser Salad Pita- toss kale with Greek Yogurt & Lime Caesar salad dressing, add shredded rotisserie chicken and stuff inside whole wheat Pita bread
3. Almond butter and banana slices on sliced golden boule
4. Turkey, cream cheese, sliced tomato and cucumber on an everything bagel
5. Nutella and strawberry sandwich on crustless bread
6. Classic chicken salad on a croissant- mix 3 cups cooked chicken, 3/4 cup diced celery, 1/2 cup mayo, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, 1 teaspoon celery salt, 1/2 teaspoon dried dill, and 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
7. Ham and cheese on pumpernickel bread with mustard
For the romantics... (wine is optional, but encouraged)
1. Proscuitto, three cheese portion varieties, baguette and grapes
2. Avocado toast on rye bread with smoked salmon and watercress
3. White bean artichoke and basil on toasted whole wheat bread- mix 1 cup artichoke hearts, 2 cups chopped baby spinach, 1 handful of chopped basil, 1 can white beans, 1 clove minced garlic, juice of one lemon, salt and pepper and top on hearty slices of toasted bread (you can keep bean topping in a container and scoop on bread at picnic to keep bread from getting soggy)
4. Assorted crackers, dips (Trader Joes and Specs is are good stopsfor this!), mini peppers, sugar snap peas, baby carrots and other veggie dippers
For the carb conscious...
1. Salmon, guacamole, bacon Collard wraps- cedar planked salmon filet portion, crispy bacon strips, smashed avocado mixed with 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 1 smashed garlic clove, 2 tablespoons minced red onion, 1 tablespoon finely chopped jalapeno, 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro and a dash of kosher salt. Wrap like a burrito into one large Collard green leaf. Hold in place with toothpick.
2. Tuna stuffed avocado- one can tuna mixed with 1/4 cup chopped cilantro, 1 tablespoon lime juice, 1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper, 1 tablespoon finely chopped jalapeno, and salt and pepper and scoop into somewhat hallowed out avocado halves
3. Hard boiled eggs, almonds, sliced cheese and veggies
For the vegetarians...
1. Alfalfa sprouts, sliced cucumber, sliced radish, sliced tomato, spinach leaves and herbed cheese spread on artisan bread
2. Arugula, avocado, raw sauerkraut, sundried tomatoes and hummus on Ezekial Sesame bread
3. Sliced fresh (buffalo) mozzarella, basil leaves, sliced tomatoes, salt, pepper and a drizzle of olive oil on French bread
4. Advocado egg salad- 3 eggs chopped mixed with 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 1 mashed avocado and 1/8 cup sliced green onions spread on sliced whole wheat bread, add watercress for crunch factor
5. Cranberry walnut chickpea salad sandwich- mix two cans drained and rinsed chickpeas with 1/2 cup dried cranveries, 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, 2 chopped celery sticks, 1/2 cup sliced green onions, salt, pepper and 1/3 cup plain non fat greek yogurt, scoop in between sliced sprouted wheat bread
6. Sliced cucumber and herbed cream cheese sandwich on multigrain bread
LOOKING FOR PICNIC SPOT IDEAS?
@outwithkiddos posted an incredibly helpful list of Austin's top 10 Picnic spots on her website. I love following her on Instagram and her carefuly crafted website even includes a family friendly map of Austin with all the family hot spots.